Growing David Austin’s ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ Rose

June 28, 2011

Post image for Growing David Austin’s ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ Rose

When my delivery from David Austin came in last April, there was a mistake in my order and instead of receiving ‘Alnwick Castle’, there was a ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ in the box instead. The company quickly corrected the mistake, and allowed me to keep the Jekyll rose, too, which showed outstanding customer service for one thing, but also made my day because I grew the ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ rose in my old garden and was pleased to have her back. :)

‘Gertrude Jekyll’ shows great disease resistance in my garden, but other gardeners complain of black spot. I have yet to see this.

Introduced by David Austin in 1986 this rose is named for the famous author, writer, artist, and influential garden designer Gertrude Jekyll. Arguably one of Austin’s finer creations, it boasts the classic English rose shape and scent with repeat bloom to boot. Growing to heights of about 5′ (taller if trained as a climber), ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ is listed as being hardy in zones 5-10. A good candidate for a large container, this rose’s size can be kept in check with judicial pruning. Ours just completed it’s first flush of blooms and is already sending out new growth for a repeat performance.

‘Gertrude Jekyll’, like it’s parent ‘Comte de Chambord’, has a very strong, damask rose scent.

‘Gertrude Jekyll’ has very thorny canes and can be tricky to maneuver around when pruning: wear thick gloves! Since it blooms on new wood, prune early and deadhead to increase flowering, but make sure to stop deadheading and feeding your roses several weeks before autumn to prepare them for winter dormancy. Each blossom has an incredibly fragrant, old-rose scent, and measures approximately 4″ across. The bright pink blossoms are fully double, quartered, and are sometimes born singly and sometimes in clusters of 2-3.

‘Gertrude Jekyll’ is a good candidate for a large container and can be trained as a rounded shrub or a climber.

I found that in our garden, ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ has shown very good disease resistance. Some of my other roses are fighting off black spot, but this one hasn’t show a single blemish. However, I’ve read reports that isn’t the case for other gardeners who have had to shovel prune their ‘Gertrude Jekyll’ rose due to fungal disease. (EDIT: Add me to the list of gardeners who had to get rid of this rose for fungal problems! Such a shame to see her go but I was fighting a losing battle with the black spot.)

‘Gertrude Jekyll’ is arguably one of David Austin’s finer creations.

Studying Gertrude Jekyll’s form and scent, her traits are certainly similar to that of her parent rose, the portland damask ‘Comte de Chambord‘ from 1858 which also has a strong fragrance and full, pink blossoms. However, Gertrude Jekyll’s roses tend to have a deeper pink center rather than a uniform pink coloring. Still, if you’re interested in growing Old Garden Roses, ‘Comte de Chambord’ is a beauty.

‘Gertrude Jekyll’ is a winner of the 2002 James Mason Award from the Royal National Rose Society and received a scoring of a “solid to very good rose” from the American Rose Society. You can reserve your plants for next spring by clicking HERE.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris June 29, 2011 at 7:58 am

I too have heard reports of the blackspot issue with Austins in general. I know have 8 shrubs of austins and they are doing well as I do employ the methods you mention here. That seems to be the key. Like their Old Garden Rose cousins, they like a while to settle in and put down roots before the big shows begin. For me, this was a 3 year cycle. Sleep.Creep.Leap. Enjoyed this post.

Hedgerow Rose June 29, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Chris! Sleep, creep, leap is a favorite saying around here, too, there is a lot of truth to it.

Marilyn John May 22, 2012 at 5:36 am

Hi Lara, Many thanks for the lovely welcome to your site. I hope you don’t mind if I immediately have a request? Until a few years ago my neighbor had a very big, black spot-ridden, climbing rose growing on our boundary wall. As a result my garden was always full of the black-spot covered leaves fallen from this rose. Needless to say my roses became very sick and had to be sent off to the `Rose Heaven in the Sky’. However, now that the offending rose has disappeared (died?) I’m getting back into roses again. I presently have just two, Red Flame on a Rose Pergola and Mortimer Sackler growing on a wall. I would like to grow 3 – 4 roses in pots on the patio, I love to sit relaxing with a good book, bathed in the scent of roses and tuberose. I forgot to add that a cocktail to hand greatly enhances the experience! Could you recommend some roses that would feel at home in a pot and, also, what size pot would you recommend? I’ve recently read that cutting back the tap root of roses makes for a much happier pot rose, what do you think?
    My apologies for all the questions, I’m sure that you’re inundated with such requests. I’ll send you over a few of my photos soon. Regards, Marilyn

Hedgerow Rose May 22, 2012 at 6:57 am

Hi Marilyn! Blackspot is a huge problem in our climate so I feel your pain. I have to have constant vigilance to prevent it from taking over the rose garden. There are some varieties that are very resistant to BS which I am now growing in containers although within another season or two they will probably get too big and must go in the ground. (For example, I have one of my ‘Madame Hardy’ roses in a container and never have any disease issues with her.) Many of the Earth Kind roses are resistant to disease but I know you like fragrance so I would suggest visiting David Austin’s site because a great majority of his roses are suitable for a large container. I particularly like ‘Abraham Darby’ even though it can get BS if the conditions are right, it recovers quickly. Last, I actually wrote a post about growing roses in containers that you might like to check out if you haven’t already: http://hedgerowrose.com/rose-gardening/2012/02/11/some-suggestions-for-growing-roses-in-containers/

Good luck!

liz August 29, 2012 at 8:27 am

when do i prune my gertrude jekyll

Hedgerow Rose August 29, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hi Liz, I like to prune my roses when they begin to break dormancy, which for us is sometime around early April (end of winter and into spring.) I don’t like to prune at the end of summer and fall because that stimulates tender new growth which will then be killed by the cold. Hope this helps!

jenella slade June 5, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I lay my Gertrude Jekyll ( and several other roses) over and cover with marsh hay. This year I had terrible vole damage. Does anyone have some tips on deterrents? I do raise veggies in the same area and don’t want to poison my family.

Hedgerow Rose June 6, 2013 at 6:52 am

Hi Jenella, I’m not sure about the voles but my husband and I have had success with Liquid Fence to keep rabbits and groundhogs away from our veggie garden. Might be worth a try.

Cecile May 12, 2014 at 9:00 am

I have Gertrude Jekyll rose and it has hardly any scent. What can I do to increase the scent?

Hedgerow Rose May 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Hi Cecile–that’s surprising because this rose is incredibly fragrant. Are you sure you have the correct rose? Could it have been mislabeled?

Ruth June 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Hi,
    I need your help!
    I got à beautiful Gertrude Jekyll for my birthday in mid-May. IT was then in full bloom. I deadheaded it dutifully but for one week when I was on holiday. I had also repotted it just before going on holiday. It has however not produced any new buds and looks pretty sad. Tired looking leaves, some dead and brown leaves. No visible sign of disease though. Any tips on how to make it happy again? (I am new to rose growing).
    Thank you in advance.
    Ruth

Hedgerow Rose June 17, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hi Ruth, It’s difficult to say without seeing photos of your rose but it could be any number of things. In fact, I wonder if it’s getting overwatered? Here is a link to a rose troubleshooting guide that may help you. That being said, I should tell you that my Gertrude Jekyll did not last more than 1 season. Initially, she looked beautiful–flowers galore–but subsequently became ridden with blackspot, lost all her leaves and generally looked terrible. I ended up throwing her out which was a real bummer because I loved the flowers…when she did have them! If I may suggest an alternative David Austin rose which I’ve recently come to love: ‘Princess Alexandra of Kent’. Gorgeous, HUGE, deep pink flowers and much better disease resistance than Jekyll (although the scent isn’t as strong as Jekyll but not many are!) Good luck!